Ages 8 years and over
Bikeability cycle safety training is designed to improve your cycle skills, from learning the basics of balance and control to planning and making short journeys on today’s busy roads.
Sport North Tyneside has fully qualified, DBS checked instructors who can deliver Level 2 training free of charge to small groups aged 9-14 years. All you need to take part is a bike in a safe and roadworthy condition (both brakes in working order) and a safety helmet.
The training will cover the following:
- Start and finish a journey by road, including passing parked or slower moving vehicles and side roads
- Make a u-turn
- Identify and react to hazards in the road
- Signal your intentions to other road users when someone needs to know what you’re doing
- Understand where to ride on the road
- Use junctions, including turning left and right into major and minor roads
- Decide whether a cycle lane will help your journey
- Use the Highway Code, particularly when it comes to understanding road signs
You will receive a badge and certificate on successful completion of the training.
Sessions are currently delivered in schools and during school holidays for young people aged 9-14 years.
If you are a school or community organisation and would like to arrange a bespoke training programme for the young people you work with, please contact email@example.com
**please note that instructors are required to take young people through Level 1 training outcomes at the start of each level 2 training session. If they are not able to demonstrate these outcomes safely they will not be able to progress onto level 2.
Active North Tyneside works in partnership with WATBike who provide fun, leisure guided bike rides for all abilities in and around the region. Whether you are a complete beginner, wanting to gain more confidence or an experienced cyclist who would like to try some longer guided rides (including overnight and cross country rides) there is something for everybody. Group transport and bike trailers are provided and WATbike can also design and deliver bespoke training programmes. WATbike have a fully equipped workshop to recycle bikes and provide a full repair and maintenance service.
All cycle activities are carried out by a dedicated team of volunteers and all money earned is given to their charity parent, WATBus Community Transport.
For further information, contact Colin:-
- Telephone: 01670 522999
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Watbike