Our ‘Healthy4Life’ programme helps families across North Tyneside and the title speaks for itself – being healthy is a life-long commitment. Being healthy for one day isn’t going to change your life, the same as having the occasional treat won’t ruin all of your hard work!
So, to turn the ‘a dog is for life, not just for Christmas’ phrase on its head, being healthy is for life, and isn’t to be forgotten at Christmas!
As always, we’re here to help! The Healthy4Life team has created a 12 day guide to a more active and healthy Christmas – with lots of festive fun for the family…
Reindeer food cereal bars
Leaving a carrot out on Christmas Eve doesn’t have to be the only connection between reindeer and food, why don’t you try these reindeer food cereal bars, we’ve heard they’re a great healthy breakfast or snack for hungry, hard-working elves!
Ingredients (makes 4 bars):
- 60g porridge oats
- 2 x weetabix
- 3 tablespoons of low fat or 0% yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 very small dollops of yoghurt (for the eyes)
- 2 blueberries (for the pupils)
- 1 raspberry (for the nose)
- A few red or purple grapes cut into slices (for the antlers)
- Mash up porridge and weetabix together and once it is fine and not too lumpy, add in the yoghurt and mix well
- Add the honey and continue to mix until it forms a paste
- Separate the mixture into 4 even pieces and mould with your fingers into a square (trim off edges if you need to)
- Carefully place your leftover yoghurt on like two eyes and top with a small blueberry
- Add a raspberry to create the nose
- Place your sliced grapes as antlers and enjoy!