Our ‘Healthy4Life’ programme helps families across North Tyneside and the title speaks for itself – being healthy is a life-long commitment. Being healthy for one day isn’t going to change your life, the same as having the occasional treat won’t ruin all of your hard work!
So, to turn the ‘a dog is for life, not just for Christmas’ phrase on its head, being healthy is for life, and isn’t to be forgotten at Christmas!
As always, we’re here to help! The Healthy4Life team has created a 12 day guide to a more active and healthy Christmas – with lots of festive fun for the family…
Christmas tree crudites
For small humans with little mouths, kids snack time comes around quite often; so why not make it a festive themed activity?
You can make a Christmas tree out of just about any foods – trust us, we’ve tried! From asparagus and cucumber to raspberries, kiwi and blueberries… and even sandwiches!
For this fruit version, all you need are your ingredients, a knife (please be careful) and your sparkling imagination!
- Three kiwi fruits
- A handful of blueberries
- A handful of raspberries
- A small amount of Greek yoghurt (option as snow!)
- Carefully cut the kiwi into thin segments in the shape of semi circles
- Arrange the segments on a plate in the shape of a tree (use the photo as a guide of how to do this)
- Place raspberries and blueberries around the tree as if they were baubles and lights (can you think of a different piece of fruit to add as the star on top?)
- Optional: add a few drops of yoghurt around the tree for a snowy effect