Our ‘Healthy4Life’ programme helps families across North Tyneside and the title speaks for itself – being healthy is a life-long commitment. Being healthy for one day isn’t going to change your life, the same as having the occasional treat won’t ruin all of your hard work!
So, to turn the ‘a dog is for life, not just for Christmas’ phrase on its head, being healthy is for life, and isn’t to be forgotten at Christmas!
As always, we’re here to help! The Healthy4Life team has created a 12 day guide to a more active and healthy Christmas – with lots of festive fun for the family…
Mrs Claus makes a bake
Mrs Claus likes to make Santa delicious meals when he’s hard at work with his elves making toys all year round for children all over the world!
This recipe is one of Santa’s favourites, and it’s a great idea for breakfast or lunch!
Ingredients (makes two portions):
- 1 can of reduced sugar and salt baked beans
- 4 low fat sausages or chicken sausages (grilled)
- 2 eggs
- 30g low fat cheese
- Mushrooms, onions, peppers, sweetcorn or any other veg that you like
- Pour the beans into a dish and make sure they cover the entire base
- Chop the sausages up into small pieces and scatter them on top of the beans
- Add the veg next
- Crack an egg over each portion of the dish (one on the left and one on the right – basically one per person!)
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees until the egg white is thickening
- Carefully remove the hot dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top
- Bake for a further 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.